I'm joined by Rogier Creemers, Assistant Professor in China Studies at Leiden University, and the Co-editor of Law and the Party in China: Ideology and Organisation and by Josh Chin of the China Bureau at the Wall Street Journal, who is also the co-author with Lisa Lin of the new book, Surveillance State, China's quest to launch a new era of social control.
This episode of The Future of You covers:
- The macro context, discussing the geopolitical economic and trade situation
- Technology transfer, highlighting the issues over semiconductors, and China's ambition to play a bigger role in the global economy and technology.
- Mass surveillance at a personal and even biological level of Chinese citizens, predominantly, but not exclusively, by the Uyghurs.
- The social credit system, and both the Chinese and Western understandings and perhaps misunderstandings of that.
- The Supreme People's Court blacklist system
- The regulation of algorithms
- The nature of authoritarianism versus personal autonomy.
- Why Chinese culture contains no such notion of autonomy
Links for Josh's work:
Josh Chin and Liza Lin's book Surveillance State https://www.amazon.co.uk/Surveillance-State-Inside-Chinas-Control-ebook/dp/B08R2K1D36/ref=sr_1_1?crid=9NGL2LINLW32&keywords=josh+chin&qid=1667218112&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMS4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=josh+chin%2Caps%2C77&sr=8-1
Rogier Creemers' book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Law-Party-China-Ideology-Organisation/dp/1108818919/ref=sr_1_3?crid=DYCJA6N0NEJW&keywords=rogier+creemers&qid=1667218210&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjMwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=rogier+creemers%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-3
Leiden University https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/staffmembers/rogier-creemers#tab-1
China File https://www.chinafile.com/contributors/rogier-creemers
Digi China https://digichina.stanford.edu
The Future of You: Can Your Identity Survive 21st Century Technology?: www.amazon.co.uk/Future-You-Identity-21st-Century-Technology-ebook/dp/B08XBN4GBB